Wednesday, November 20, 2013

November Newsletter

Here is this month's parent/student newsletter for Freshman and Sophomore parents.  I have struggled with deciding "what" to put in each newsletter.  For those of you who are also starting monthly newsletters, I thought I would elaborate on what I hope will be my "regular" sections.
One idea came from my student meetings.  At my Freshman and Sophomore meetings I made students fill out an "exit ticket" where they wrote down questions they had regarding graduation, GPA, testing, college, etc.  I now use those exit tickets to create a column in each newsletter titled:  Student Questions and Answers. Each month I try to focus on a different category of questions.  This month I focused on GPA questions.
In addition, I almost always include some sort of college prep time line.  I often use www.collegemapper.com as a resource for this section.  They always have unique ideas and suggestions as well as the usual, "keep your grade up; visit colleges."  What resources do you use for keeping your students and parent informed?  Leave your suggestions in the comments section.
Another section I have begun to include came to me after talking to a recent high school graduate.  As a current college athlete, he stated that he wished someone had told him in high school to begin taping his games.  I included that tip in last month's newsletter, but have started to include a section on what to do NOW if you have specific college goals.  This month's section is on planning to go to Art School.
As always, I am looking for new and unique additions, so feel free to share your newsletters, ideas, and resources.  Working together, we can help our students, and perhaps make that job a bit easier!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment