Thursday, August 1, 2013

The Start of Something New

After twelve years of counseling elementary and middle school, I made the plunge this year into the unknown world of High School.  For years, the thought of high school counseling made me twitch.  The attitudes, drama, academic advising, scheduling, testing, college prep, etc. made me nervous.  Although now that I think back on it, I imagine that I was just afraid of the unknown.  After all, didn't I do most of these same things at the lower levels?  With the support and conviction of my fellow counselor, I requested to move to the high school level.
A little bit about me:  For the past ten years, I have worked as the middle school counselor at a K-12 school in North Carolina (I worked as an elementary counselor in Florida in years prior.) and I have loved almost every minute of it.  It is a small-ish school and so I have been able to build personal relationships with many of my students and I can honestly report that I know 95% of them by name.  Having the opportunity to follow my previous students played a big part in deciding to transition out of middle school.  You know- it's always easier to counsel kids you like!  :)
Another big part was my desire to change.  While I loved middle school, I felt stagnant.   I suppose ten years will do that to a person.  I was ready for a new challenge; something to make me feel creative and professionally alive!
Well, I certainly got a challenge!  Around the same time that I was offered the position as 9th & 10th Grade Counselor, it was also revealed that none of my other colleagues would be returning for the school year.  To say that I was shocked would be an understatement.  However after lots of prayer and "counseling" I discovered that it was my calling to take on this new challenge.
Now, three months into the school year I know that I made the right decision.  The past three months have been a whirl-wind of learning and pushing myself professionally.   I know that I still have a lot to learn, but am thrilled at the challenge.
This blog is my collection of thoughts, ideas, and lessons on counseling 9th and 10th grade students.  I hope that perhaps it will help others out there who are in the same boat, but it is also a place for me to keep track of what has worked and what has failed.  Please do not hesitate to email me if I can help you in any way.

No comments:

Post a Comment